Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Possible Clinical Trials

I went down to San Antonio on Monday to meet with two different research centers. The first one I met with, S.T.A.R.T., I really liked. I just got a good feeling from them and what they wanted to do. They are the type of center who are willing to think a little outside the box and not just settle on the fact there is nothing that can be done for me. They aren't saying what they have to offer will work but at least they say there is a chance and that's all I am asking for. They want to use a new drug that is not a form of chemo but is an inhibitor that binds to the cancer cell and may stop the growth, slow it down a little, kill it off, or not work at all depending on how it reacts, there are no guarantees since this is a drug being researched. I must now be selected by the pharmaceutical company to participate, and I should hear something by the end of the week.

The other research center I did not like at. They had the same outlook as the my old Dr., that the only thing that can be done is just slow it down and that's all. They were not willing to look outside that box and take a risk. I would rather at least risk failure and trust in God than not try at all. The Dr. there talked to me as if I didn't understand what I was facing. I was thinking why would I be down is S.A. wanting to try out unproven drugs if I didn't understand my cancer. So based on their outlook I ruled them out.

I have one more clinical trial to meet with this week and that is in Dallas at UTSW medical center. I will listen to what they have to say and maybe it will be good, but I think God led me to the START center for a reason so hopefully I get into that trial. I hope everyone is doing great!

God Bless
Jake

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jake-

I admire you so much for looking into new research studies. You are a great person and I pray every day that these new treatments will work! You are an inspiration to us all.

Anonymous said...

Hi Jake;

I'll continuing praying for you hun. It sounds like you have found a great research center...I'll pray they pick you for the new drug trial!

((HUGS))
Christy

JDP said...

Good Luck with the clinical trials. I went to UTSW when I was first diagnosed with Muscular Dystrophy. We are keeping you and your family in our thoughts and prayers.

JDP

Anonymous said...

Let the morning bring me word of your unfailing love, for I have put my trust in you. Show me the way I should go, for to you I lift up my soul.

Psalm 143:8

Ashley said...

Hey Jake - I'm really glad to hear that you've found a research center that you're happy with. Just want you to know that I'm thinking about you and praying that your remaining clinical trial went well. Let us know!

Anonymous said...

Jake,

Just wanted to share a short story with you about my great aunt who went with experimental cancer treatments when she was first diagnosed back in early 1970's. The doctors then told her she had no more than six months to live. Immediately following the news she underwent chemotherapy as you did, with similar results. She then started experimental drugs and treatments prescribed to her from a doctor at UT Austin who gave her much better chances. My great aunt passed away six months ago.

I realize this story takes place thirty years ago, but it's a story close to my heart of a person who was given little hope and went on to live a very long life. I know you'll do the same.

We're all praying for ya.

See ya next weekend!!!

Anonymous said...

Jake-

We went to school at WHHS together, and I doubt you remember me. We've shared some laughs! I just wanted to let you know that I've reading this blog for awhile and you are an inspiration to many. Keep up the possitive attitude and never let your faith sway. God Bless!

ALS

Anonymous said...

Jake~ I will continue to pray for you. The power of prayer will work.

Katie Dixon-Elliott said...

Jake,
God will lead you to the right research center. I am proud of you for following His calling. Keep your spirit lifted. Cliff and I will continue to pray for you. I admire you and you are a great inspiration to all. You are such a blessing to your family and friends.

Psalm 143:8 Let the morning bring me word of your unfailing love, for I have put my trust in you. Show me the way I should go, for to you I lift up my soul.


Psalm 95: 6-7 Come, let's worship Him and bow down. Let's kneel before the LORD who made us, because He is our God and we are the people He takes care of and the sheep that He tends.

-Katie